Saturday, April 10, 2010

PERSONAL PERSPECTIVES




Hi folks, just wanted to take a moment to dwell on a few personal issues and observations.


Firstly, on a light note, I am amazed at how much I feel out of my comfort zone, leaving the home state behind!. I wouldn't have thought I would notice any difference, but it is quite noticeable. I no longer 'know stuff' - in WA I was always able to give some advice regarding places, weather, etc., now, I don't even know where I am most of the time. The produce is definitely different - it's hard to describe how it's different - it just is - Cos lettuce seems hard to find and the iceberg lettuce are beautiful - on the other hand I don't like the tomatoes here - they have much more seed than at home. Apples, so far, are described at red or green - not Granny Smith, etc. Dairy is just so different, having left behind all the WA branded dairy. It's really funny, but when part of your identity is know how to shop for food and then you have to re-learn, it's a little bit diminishing.


People seem a little different here - people from WA are so outgoing, here they seem a little more 'closed' for want of a different word.


As for missing home, well - it's really hard to describe. I miss my boys and their families - and I must confess, I am a bit miffed at how little we seem to be missed by them. We initiate most of the contact and my emails are often not responded to, or even read. I know realistically they have busy lives and we have opted out of their lives for a while, but still..............


As far as mum is concerned, of course, the guilt is still with me for leaving her - I doubt if that will ever change - it's just something I will live with. She seems to be coping quite well, with the help of my wonderful friend and her husband, but I still feel I have deserted her in her 'hour of need'. Not much I can do about it tho' - we are loving our adventure, and we have done the right thing, but still...........................


Doesn't guilt just piss you off?!! I also feel guilty for leaving my wonderful friend to keep an eye on mum - she and her hubby have taken the task to heart and have really been doing much more than I ever expected them to, and I know my friend has her own health and family issues to deal with. She will doubtless read this at some time, so thank you darlin' - you and him indoors are wonderful, thank you so much.


Missing the house, and missing having a home - not a bit - I did have a short lived moment when I was thinking of our back yard and garden, but I have devised a mental exercise which keeps them with me and now I have no probs with that. Not having a home doesn 't bother me at all, as far as I am concerned, the caravan is our home and that is that.


Health wise - we are doing OK, but we have until very recently been living much to much of the good life - an easy thing to do living this life. Sun downers are the killer, a few drinkies and a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and a relatively sedentary lifestyle - un-good!! I have recently started walking again in the mornings and intend to keep this up as a regular regime - sadly the body is protesting vigorously to this, and my knees and back are pretty much screaming at me most of the time now. One thing I will never do again is run out of Omega 3 - since I increased my dosage (as per Dr's instructions) I have been much better, we ran out this week and boy oh boy, did I feel the difference - I have both the bloke and myself back on track with those now. We have also decreased our meals and meal size - something we really needed to do, and now it's back to the straight and narrow. TBBITW is trying to reduce the beer intake and to go to a lighter beer when he can get it.


The Spiritual re-awakening I spoke of in earlier issues of the blog has taken a slow turn for the bloke, he really has given it up again, at least for now. I on the other hand, had an amazing experience in Esperance with an intuitive healer during a reflexology session and have since then started a major psychic cleansing program. This involves re tracking all the emotional hurdles and upheavals of this life and removing the barb from those experiences. I am probably one third of the way thru' but have dealt with most of the really big issues and am already feeling much better for the experience. I need to do this exercise before I can move on to the next phase of my spiritual journey. It is all progressing well. I have to say, tho' raking thru' a lot of old grief has prompted some amazing dreams - really interesting stuff.


One realisation has come to pass, and that is we are not on holidays - this is how we live now - that thought helps to keep us honest as far as alcohol and food consumption is concerned.


Am I happy, yes, and despite the pre-mentioned guilt - I am also content - I believe that applies to TBBITW as well - see you in my dreams - Steph.


3 comments:

Ruth said...

My Dear Steph and Doug, well I have just caught up with all your Smoky Bay info and wholeheartedly agree. I have had two glass champers and am in the wrong place. I will go back to Smoky Bay.
I think of you often and wondered how you were going there - and knew in my heart how it was.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Elle here - good to hear you are both enjoying the adventure. know what you mean about local products having experienced that myself in the past. I think of you both every time i pass your previous home - so that is often.
Travelle well my friends BFN

Unknown said...

Hey Steph
I'm really enjoying your blogging and look forward to the updates, sounds like your having quite a bit of fun, sun and adventures too.
Took me ages to find where you gave the meaning of TBBITW and of course I tried to figure it out for myself 1st but that was a bit like setting up a DVD player without the instructions! The poem (if that's the right name) was great, your a very talented woman. Missing our morning teas under your patio but you'll have so many stories to tell when you get back that we'll have to have them often.
Take care Steph and say hi to Doug for me xoxox