Wednesday, April 7, 2010

NUDGING THE NULLAROBR

I just thought that the Nullarbor and the crossing between WA and SA warranted just a little space of it's own. I have heard so many people speak disparagingly of how boring the crossing is, I just wanted to express a contrary view. I just love it! I don't understand how people can find it boring. The sheer size and magnitude alone are awe inspiring. I doubt there are many places on this planet, where you can see for so far. The road itself, is a marvel - so straight and flat. OK - it is not green and lush, but it is very much alive - alive with all the amazing flora that covers that wide expanse and the multitude of wild life that inhabits the plains. Sadly, of course, there is also the road kill - lots of it, although we didn't see as much this time round as last time we crossed. The eagles are majestic, and also sad. I read an article not long ago, explaining that the Wedgetail mates for life and how the mate grieves at the roadside where the other member of the pair lays broken and dead. I am glad to say I didn't see evidence of this, but was conscious of the fact as we travelled.
The whole place is spiritually loaded - it is awe inspiring and so different to anything that we are used to. As I said, I just love it!

No comments: