Thursday, June 3, 2010

THE KING AND I

Rocky overhangs at the Canyon.

Dry river bed inside the canyon.
Dingo wandering around inside the Resort.


From the van door.



From inside the van, thru' the window above the bed!




THE KING AND I

Hi again everyone – hope you didn’t miss me!! I know, I know, the blogs are coming a bit fast at the moment – it’s just that I have to do them while I have access to the net – as you are no doubt aware, access is a bit erratic out here in the ‘Never Never’. After Alice, it is possible you will have a break for a while as we will be out of range for a little while.
Well, Kings Canyon – unbelievable!! We stayed at the resort (in the caravan section) and once again our site was fantastic – we had a spot directly overlooking the range – I have included a shot we took from inside the caravan looking across the bed and out to the rugged hills.
You are going to get very sick of me telling you just how beautiful this part of the country is – I’m sorry, but as I am just so impressed it is very difficult not to harp on about it.
There are two walks at Kings Canyon, a very difficult one, the Rim Walk and an easier one thru’ the floor of the gorge. We did the floor, my knee was still too sore to attempt the harder walk. Truth be told, until I can arrange to get a knee replacement, I don’t think I am going to be able to do some of these steeper climbs. The going up is just a matter of fitness, the coming back down tho’ is pretty much mission impossible for me at the moment. It is a shame as I am sure I will miss some outstanding views as a result of this impediment. TBBITW has so far opted to stay with me on the lesser walks – I dare say he will move onto the harder ones when he finds a mate to climb with.
Having said all of that, I must point out that in my humble opinion the walk thru’ the canyon floor was absolutely fantastic and I was more than happy with the experience. I have included some photos of the walk (hopefully) so you can see the beauty of the place.
Well, I finally had my ‘dingo’ fix. They were more than plentiful at the Kings Canyon Resort, coming into camp late afternoon and again in the early morning. One casual fellow wandered into camp around 6 in the evening and simply lay down between two caravans for a kip!! The howling of the dingos is both eerie and beautiful. According to the local experts the mating season lasts up to late May (when we were there) and during that time the boys are not particularly interested in tucker and can drop a large percentage of their body weight. Something I didn’t realise is that dingos mate for life. They somehow seem all the more admirable for that don’t you think?
The weather when we arrived at King’s Canyon was heavily overcast and we did have a little rain that evening, apart from that tho’ we have continued to be blessed with chilly nights and absolutely marvellous days – clear and crisp in the morning, warming up to mid 20s during the middle of the day – I really could live with that forever I think. TBBITW is finding the chilly nights a bit much, but personally I just love them.
My next blog will be from Alice – until then love yourselves, love each other and love the world around you – Stephanie.

No comments: